Blood is a connective tissue that connects various tissue/ organs and joints. It consists of plasma and formed elements. Plasma is a non-living fluid matrix that is yellowish and holds the different blood cells in it. Formed elements are living cells present in the plasma like RBC, WBC, and Platelets. Platelet also called thrombocytes, is a living cell in the blood that helps stops the flow of blood from the injured organ by clotting the blood. Platelets count determine the quantity of the platelets in the given amount of the blood. The normal platelets range can be anything between 1,50,000 to 4,50,000 per microlitre. Generally, Doctors always checks platelets count before any surgical procedure. When a patient has a red dot on the whole body, platelets count a physician usually recommends the test. It is always advised to go to checkup while even normal fever comes because fever is often the first symptom of dengue and low platelets count. It is bone marrow which produces platelets in the body. There are various ways of thrombocytopenia and dengue treatment which we discuss in this article.
Table of Contents
When you don’t have enough platelet count in your blood, your body cannot form clots which is a condition of thrombocytopenia. For some, symptoms may include severe bleeding with minor injury if the platelets count falls below 50,000. If platelet count drops too much, internal bleeding may starts which is the sign of worry as you may need an immediate surgical procedure to stop it. In this situation, fresh blood is injected into the patient veins to compensate for the loss of blood. If platelet count continues goes down, there are chances that patient may go to the coma and ultimately death. Other people may not experience any symptoms.
Cause of low platelets count:
When platelets found any damaged blood vessel, they bind together to restrict the blood flowing out of the blood vessels.
- Low platelets count may occur due to the problem in the spleen.
- In some cases, body destruction rate for platelets is more than the body production rate of the platelets by bone marrow
- Dengue and different types of cancer may be a reason for low platelets count.
- There may be other types of disorder that may lower platelets count such as heparin-induced thrombocytopenia which is caused by the formation of the abnormal antibodies that activate platelets and causes clot instead of bleeding.
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura is the problem of having low platelets count without any known reason.
- An autoimmune disorder which destroys platelets or against the thrombocytes.
- Damaged bone marrow
- Deficiency of vitamin B-12 and folic acid deficiency causes less production of platelets and RBC.
- Exposure to chemotherapy, radiation, or toxic chemicals at the time of some treatment forms
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Cirrhosis: Chronic liver damage due to various causes which may result in liver failure
- Leukemia: Cancer of blood-forming tissue which prevents our immune system to fight against diseases.
It is estimated that red blood cells stay about 120 days but platelets only stay about ten days if a person is healthy. It means bone marrow continuously produces them whenever I get destroyed. Along with regular destruction, these cells also get damaged due to some pathological conditions. It can also be a symptom of:
- An enlarged spleen: The spleen is directly related to the activity of any diseases in which red blood cells of the spleen get destroyed. Liver disease, infections, and some cancers can cause your spleen to become enlarged, it needs to be diagnosed as early as more time passes, there are chances of some of the organ damage.
- An autoimmune disorder: Any disease related to the immune system may lead to more destruction of platelets
- Pregnancy: low platelets count at the time of pregnancy is the sign of a complicated pregnancy.
- A bacterial infection in the blood
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP): it occurs when the immune system accidentally attack platelets due to either viral infection or chronic disease
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP): it is a rare blood disorder that results into the clotting in small blood vessels throughout our body. Due to it, the supply of oxygen to our vital organ stops result in our platelets count decrease.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome: it results in low platelets count and RBC which occurs mainly due to clotting in smaller blood vessels primarily of a kidney. It may cause kidney failures.
If you have a low platelets count, you may experience:
- Red, purple, or brown bruises on the skin, called purpura
- Bleeding in the nose
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Blood in the urine
- Wounds’ bleeding that lasts for a prolonged period or doesn’t stop on its own
- Bloody or very dark vomiting
- A rash with small red or purple dots on the skin
- Sizeable menstrual bleeding at the time of periods which may affect pregnancy and new baby.
- Body cools
- Rashes with small red dots called petechiae
- Bleeding gums
- Dengue is a disease caused by an Aedes virus that spreads through mosquito bites on any body part, mostly on legs as it cannot fly above the knee. Its distinction from other mosquitoes is that it spread from clean water while others spread from the mud water. Aedes mostly bite on morning time. That’s why we called it a day biting mosquitoes.
- Its strongly impacts the heart, brain, and liver.
- When dengue virus bites you, its symptoms appear only after four to six days.
- Its symptoms include high fever, joint pain, headache and pain in the back of eyes (the most prominent sign of the dengue) and fatigue.
- In most of the cases, dengue is associated with thrombocytopenia, i.e., fall in platelet count. Due to it, if blood starts flowing with even minor injury, it will not stop easily as there are less number of platelets to clot the blood.
- When a person has dengue, it is generally recommended by doctors not to brush the teeth. Because if bleeding starts from the gums, it will not be going to stop quickly.
- Sometimes, internal bleeding may start if platelets counts decrease too much. In this situation, blood flows out of the capillary and condenses around the organs in the space. Due to it, the heart isn’t able to supply blood to other organs of the body which leads to shock stage or coma stage. It may lead to the death of a person if blood doesn’t stop. In this situation, the doctor maximizes their attempt to prevent this stage. And in rare cases, it may cause the death of patients.
- Many doctors prescribe to drink kiwi and coconut juice for it as it naturally stimulates the production of platelets count and builds immunity against dengue.
- Dengue can affect many people, but it has more impact on the person with compromised or damaged immunity system.
- If anyone diagnosed with dengue, he develops immunity for a lifetime against that dengue stereotype. It means a person who suffered dengue from particular viral stereotype have decidedly fewer chances to suffer dengue again from that stereotype.
- If dengue occurs second time to any patient, then it may be dangerous for him. We called it dengue hemorrhagic fever.
How dengue spreads?
It does not spread by eating together, by air and by water. It spreads only by the bite of Aedes mosquito. If someone
Has dengue fever and Aedes bite on that person, Aedes virus will get infected by it as dengue patient blood mixes with his blood. When this infected virus bites on the healthy person, dengue spreads to that healthy person. This virus cannot fly upper than our knee. Doctors may use DENV Detect IgM Capture ELISA blood test to diagnose people with dengue fever. It is also recommended to do platelets count test in the laboratory as in most of the cases our platelets count goes down due to dengue. Sometimes, there is confusion occurs regarding dengue with malaria as most of its symptoms are similar to the disease.
Thrombocytopenia and dengue treatment:
Below is the list of some Indian fruits and herbs which helps in fighting against low platelets count and helps our immune system:
It is useful fruit when blood platelets count goes down. You can drink the concoction made from the papaya leaves that is equally helpful in increasing blood platelets. All you have to do is to boil the papaya leaves in water and strain and drink the extract twice a day. It will help you in Dengue treatment.
It increases the blood platelets level. Wheatgrass is rich in chlorophyll and has a molecular structure similar to human blood hemoglobin molecules. Drinking half glass of wheatgrass juice with lemon juice can significantly increase the platelets count.
The red diamond-like seeds of the pomegranate are rich in iron which helps to increase the blood platelets count. It is also rich in vitamins, helps to gain resistance and strength and fight low platelets related health diseases such as dengue fever.
Lean proteins and fish:
The food in this category promotes platelets production and also rich in vitamin B-12 and zinc. According to the Linus policy institute, zinc gives the boost to the immune system of the body that slows down due to a deficiency of platelets and leads to slow healing of the wounds.
It is rich in vitamins A, helps to support the development of the platelets and regulates the proteins produced in the body. The regulation of the protein cells is highly essential for the production of the platelets. Prepare a half glass of the fresh pumpkins juice and add some honey to it.
Ascorbic acid popularly known as vitamin c helps to increase blood platelets. Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant, and higher doses of this vitamin prevent the free radical damage to the platelets. For this, you must include food such as oranges, lemons, kiwi, bell peppers, spinach, broccoli that are rich with vitamin c. They serve best for thrombocytopenia and Dengue treatment.
Leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and fenugreek are rich in vitamin K. Hence; you should consume them when platelets count hit bottom. During an injury, the body activates the proteins to stimulates the formation of the blood clots and stop the bleeding. These proteins depend upon the Vitamin K for activation without which clotting of the blood is not possible.
It is often useful for anemic patients. According to the study, one bowl of the carrot and beet if taken twice a day helps to increase the blood platelets count. You can drink beetroot for Dengue treatment. Eat it as a salad or even prepare its soup.
Eupatorium perfoliatum 200:
It is an effective medicine for dengue fever as it is also useful for the prevention of dengue fever. Take its two drops twice a day in half glass of water. It is more useful medicine for the patient having a high fever and joint pain. When you have dengue, then take its two drops three to four times a day Dengue treatment.
Gelsemium sempervirens 200:
When you have a fever with a severe headache, dullness fatigue and weakness, gelsemium semperviren 200 is an effective medicine in all the above cases. Take its two drops thrice a day for Dengue treatment.
Dr. BSK ABBATIS:
I don’t recommend any company medicine, but this is the only medicine whose result surprised me. Use its 4 drops after every 3 hours for thrombocytopenia and Dengue treatment. It will increase platelets to a healthy limit within 24 hours.